07 Aug Drumstick Cooking Leaves: 3 Easy Southern Indian Recipes
In South India, the drumstick tree is nearly ubiquitous.
Over the previous decade, few superfoods from India have gained the standing of moringa. From supermarkets in America to Europe, moringa powder has made an look on cabinets internationally. In South India, the drumstick tree is nearly ubiquitous, and each the drumstick and leaves have been a ‘go-to’ ingredient for his or her wellness advantages. Even earlier than moringa turned the globally acclaimed superfood it’s at this time, I keep in mind sampling a scrumptious dish made with drumstick leaves at southern spice, the South Indian speciality restaurant at Taj Coromandel, Chennai. One of many restaurant’s in style starters is rasam that doubles up as a soup that provides the goodness of this superfood to a flavourful soup.
COVID-19 has put the concentrate on components that construct immunity. It is one motive for the renewed curiosity in moringa and drumstick leaves. There are few greens and greens that may match the wealth of advantages which can be packed into drumstick leaves. As an example, drumstick leaves comprise extra Vitamin C than oranges and extra calcium than milk. It is a wealthy supply of iron, one motive why it is used to battle anaemia. After which there’s zinc that mixes with Vitamin C (apart from Vitamin D and B in drumstick leaves) to bolster its immunity-boosting properties. Different advantages embody its anti-inflammatory properties and the presence of antioxidants.
(Additionally Rread: Drumstick or Moringa: Three South Indian Recipes for Cooking this Superfood)
There are fairly a couple of South Indian recipes that assist you to add drumstick leaves to your eating regimen. From rasam, to a stir-fry or poriyal, you possibly can attempt these straightforward recipes at residence:
Recipe – Murungai Elai Chaaru | Drumstick Leaf Soup
Recipe courtesy Sujan Mukherjee – Government Chef, Taj Coromandel
This nutritious soup combines the healing properties of drumstick leaves together with dal and is a superb appetiser.
Drumsticks leaves: 1 bunch
Masoor dal entire: 100 gm
Garlic pearls: 20 gm
Shallots: 30 gm
Refined oil: 30 ml
Cinnamon: 2 gm
Cloves: 2 gm
Ginger: 20 gm
Turmeric powder: 2 gm
cumin seeds: Three gm
Curry leaves: 1 sprig
Salt: to style
Byadgi chilli: Three gm
Mustard: 2 gm
Asafoetida: 1 gm
1. Wash and peel the drumsticks leaves and blanch it. Make a advantageous puree of the identical.
2. Boil the masoor dal together with cinnamon and cloves.
3. Warmth oil in a heavy backside pan add mustard seeds, cumin, chopped shallots, garlic and ginger. Sauté it properly.
4. Add the byadgi chilli and curry leaves to it and blend nicely.
5. Now, add boiled masoor dhal and permit to boil.
6. As soon as it is boiled nicely, add the blanched drumsticks leaves puree to it.
7. Combine nicely. Add salt and asafoetida to it.
8. Examine the seasoning and pressure the soup.
9. Serve scorching.
Murungai Elai Vadai | Drumstick Leaf Vada
Serves 10 items
This straightforward, rustic recipe combines the goodness of drumstick leaves with ragi.
– Ragi flour: 1 cup
– Drumstick leaves (with out stalks): 1 bunch
– Small onions (shallots): 10
– Jeera: 1 teaspoon
– Coriander (finely chopped): a couple of sprigs
– Curry leaves (finely chopped): a couple of sprigs
– Ginger (grated): a small piece
– Inexperienced chillies (finely chopped): 2
– Salt: to style
– Cooking oil to fry
1. Mix all components with the flour, add water as you do and mix to perfection.
2. Flatten the combination to skinny discs.
3. Fry fastidiously in regular oil.
4. The important thing to that is to ensure the vadas are fried to perfection. Do not over fry the vadas; it might consequence within the vadas getting charred.
Murungai Elai Poriyal | Stir-Fried Drumstick Leaves
-.Small onions (Shallots): 10
– Drumstick leaves (with out stalks) 2 handfuls
– Garlic (crushed): 2-Three pods
– Dried chilli: 2
– Turmeric: 1/Four teaspoon
– Asafoetida: a pinch
– Curd: 1 spoon
Curry leaves: a couple of sprigs
Urad dal: half of teaspoon
Mustard: 1/Four teaspoon
Dried chilli: 2
Gingelly oil: 1 teaspoon
1. Rinse the drumstick leaves and maintain apart.
2. Mood the mustard, urad dal, curry leaves and purple chillies in gingelly oil.
3. Then add the shallots, asafoetida after which garlic.
4. Add the drumstick leaves and stir.
5. Place a lid on the cooking vessel and let it cook dinner for 5 minutes on a medium flame.
6. Add the curd and salt and stir earlier than you serve.
This wholesome recipe retains a lot of the goodness of the drumstick leaves. The curd does not simply add a pleasant flavour twist but additionally provides a novel texture. Serve it as an accompaniment with rice and sambar or rasam.
The opinions expressed inside this text are the non-public opinions of the writer. NDTV just isn’t chargeable for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any info on this text. All info is offered on an as-is foundation. The knowledge, information or opinions showing within the article don’t replicate the views of NDTV and NDTV doesn’t assume any duty or legal responsibility for a similar.
About Ashwin RajagopalanI’ve found cultures, locations and felt at residence in a few of the world’s most distant corners due to the varied meals I’ve tried which have been ready with ardour. Generally they’re conventional recipes and at most occasions they have been audacious reinterpretations by inventive cooks. I may not cook dinner typically however once I do, I think about I am in a cookery present set – matching measuring bowls, et all!